The Abinger Parish registers are retained in a purpose-built database written by Philip Rawlings.
- Burial register 1559 - 1812
- Burial register 1813-1876
- Burial register 1877-2015
- Baptism register 1559-1812 (in progress)
- Marriage register (to follow)
Reports from that database are shown below, other sorts/selections are available from the webmaster
Burial Register 1877-2015
Burial Register 1813-1876
The original Registers for this period are stored in microfiche in Surrey records. A printed transcript was produced, but is only complete to 1846.
Burial Register 1559-1812
The Abinger Parish burial registers for 1559-1812 were published as The Parish Registers of Abinger, Wotton, and Oakwood Chapel, Co. Surrey
(Mitchell Hughes & Clarke, London, 1928), a scan is shown here.
Notes to the Registers
- Inscriptions from memorials in the churchyard were transcribed by John A Gibbs in "Inscriptions and Graves in Abinger Church and Churchyard with Index" presented to St James' in 1934 Also from "Epitaphs of Surrey", A B Bax, ms. in Surrey Archeological Society Library (1890); these data are included in the current database
- 'Affidavit': in The Burial in Woolen Acts of 1660-1689 "No corps should be buried in anything other than what is made of sheep's wool only; or put into any coffin lined or faced with any material but sheep's wool, on pain of forfeiture of £5." In addition, an affidavit to that effect was required not later than 8 days after the burial. The act was repealed in 1814 but ignored after 1770.
- 'Certificate': a certificate brought (presented) affirming burial in 'woolen'.
- Assumed, except otherwise stated, that a woman takes the surname of the husband (often burial register has only, for example, Joan the wife of John Smith).
- Assumed, except otherwise stated, that a child takes the surname of the father (often burial register has only, for example, Jane the daughter of John Smith).
- Spellings of names and places are idiosyncratic in the registers. As far as practicable, original spellings have been retained.
- Names are often prefixed with Goodman or Goodwife (abbr. Goody) in the earlier registers. Archaic form, known from 13th to mid-18th century. Signifies lower social standing than those addressed as Mr, Mrs, Mistress.
|You can view the entire data by right-clicking on this link StJamesRegisters.XML and select 'Save target as' (depending on your browser). Then open the XML file in MS Excel as an XML table, or in any XML-friendly application. Data can then be viewed, sorted, filtered, etc. as shown here.|
This page was last modified by Philip Rawlings, Wed, 09 Feb 2011 13:28