Completely destroyed 3.8.1944.
To the Glory of God this porch was erected by the Farmers of Abinger AD 1857. "Of thine own have we given Thee".
This Village Green is dedicated to the memory of those from the Parish of Abinger who fell in the Great War 1914-1918.
John Beckett, John Foord
Andrew Earnest Bone, Russell Forehand
Eric Brady, George Gadd
Ben Bliss, Thomas Holloway
Herbert W Carpenter, William Herbert Hunt
Frank Charman, Grace King
Henry Charman, William Mitchinson
George Cooper, Mark Moore
Edward Jack Curtis, John Muggeridge
Henry Elms, Walter Selwyn Orpen
Charles H Etherington, Albert Edward Smith
The land was purchased and endowed by their friends and neighbours and placed in the custody of the Abinger Parish Council in the year 1920.
"Pereunt et imputantur" [the hours pass away and are reckoned on our account].
Some background on those here inscribed here. A facsimile of this stone and inscription is on the Clock House facing the green at Abinger Hammer and another on the YMCA hut (1920) facing the green at Forest Green.
Transcribed by John A Gibbs 1933 as recorded in "Abinger Church and Churchyard Inscriptions 1934".