The Wotton Quarterly Magazine of 1902 carried correspondence on the inscriptions on the church bells of Wotton and Abinger. The original Abinger bells were probably cast in the mid 14th century, and were mentioned in the inventory of 1553 as "Item, iij belles in the steple, the best by estymacion, viii and the resydew under after the rate ". These were recast in 1674 ("William Eldridge made mee, 1674"). The 'viij' means 8 cwt.
The bells were recast at the time of the first of the Victorian restorations' by Mears and Stainbank, Founders, London, 1880 and one was Inscribed "H.S. & D. D. Churchwardens " (Henry Spooner and Daniel Dibble). It is customary for bells and similar objects to carry the names of the Churchwardens (but not the Rector!) - Terence O'Kelly - letter to Abinger & Coldharbour Parish News, February 1998.
To celebrate the 2000 millenium, 3 new bells were commissioned by St James'.
Photographs of a visit to Whitechapel Bell Foundry Ltd in March 1999 to see St James' three new bells being cast. The ancient craft of bell founding has been carried out by the London firm since its origins in the East End in 1420.
Other bells cast that day were for Sydney, Australia; Wye, Kent; and Beoley, Worcestershire.